Thursday, August 6, 2009

Review by Request


My dear cousin Melissa requested that I try and review the new Tide Stain Release, so while at the store this morning I picked up a bottle. I decided to go with the liquid as opposed to the drop in "Duo Pacs" because I wanted to have the option of using it directly on clothes as a pre-treater as well. It also comes in a powder, but my Kroger did not carry the powder version. The regular price is $5.88 for a 32 oz bottle or 10 ct "duo pac" bag. I did get it for $3.63 after a store sale, .75 paper coupon, and a .50 electronic coupon.

The liquid comes in a 32 oz bottle this an interesting shaped lid that (like many laundry products), you use as the measuring cup. First off, it has kind of a small opening and it wouldn't be really conducive to kids using it (esp boys, if they are like mine) or you would waste a lot due to spilling. Also, the amount needed is deceivingly a large amount. I actually poured it into a measuring cup, and it was right at 4 oz. Now the bottle is only 32 oz, so basically you get 9 loads out of it if you don't use any as pre-treater (or you don't spill any). It seems REALLY expensive for 9 loads of laundry, especially since we go through that many loads in just a few days at our house. Not that I would use it in every load, but still, it's a bit pricey. I was hoping that it would be the laundry miracle product, in which case, worth the expense.
I brought it home and started the laundry. I washed kids clothes and also James' Tae Kwon Do uniform (because it gets kind of nasty, and I usually use color safe bleach or Oxy Clean to wash it). I also pretreated a stain on a shirt, but for the rest of the clothes I just added it to the wash. It kind of foamed up like a few other pre-treaters that I have used. It also has a pleasant, but not overwhelming scent. The key things I was looking for were improvement in 1) the stain on the shirt, 2) James' uniform, and 3) the bottoms of the boys' socks. I am disappointed to say that I couldn't see much of a difference at all in any of them. I get FAR superior results from color-safe bleach or Oxy Clean. So, my final conclusion would be that even if it wasn't as expensive as it is, I still wouln't repurchase this.

1 comment:

  1. You are the best cousin ever! Guess I won't waste my time buying it. I would love to find something so I don't have to spray every article of clothing. I have looked for the Totally Toddler that you said to try, but I haven't been able to find it yet. I'll keep looking!

    ReplyDelete