Monday, September 7, 2009

Pulled an all-nighter (almost)


Have you ever read one of those books you just couldn't put down? I have.....actually, a lot of books are like that for me, so I usually try to only start books when I know that I will have time to read them. If a book is good, lots of things go undone until it is finished. Thankfully, I'm a fast reader, so it doesn't usually take many days for me to finish a book.


Well, we went to the library on Saturday to let the kids get some books. Our library doesn't have a large "Inspirational Fiction" (aka Christian Fiction) section, but they have a few books. I normally request things from other libraries in Harris County, but I hadn't done it for this trip, so I just had to go with what was on the shelf. I actually found some books that looked interesting (A.D. Chronicles series by Brodie and Brock Thoene....let me know what you think if you've read them), but it was a series and they didn't have book #1, so I decided that I would just have to request it later. I decided to go with authors that I had heard of (although I do venture out occasionally with ones I don't know), and I picked out one book by Kristen Heitzmann. I love her books that I've read, but this is one of her older books and the cover makes it out to be a somewhat cheesy historical Old West romance book, which aren't my favorite. But, I know... you shouldn't "judge a book by it's cover", and I absolutely adore everything else I've read of hers, so I thought I'd give it a try.


The other book I picked up was "A Moment of Weakness" by Karen Kingsbury. I think I've read one of her books a while back, and I had definitely heard of her, and this book looked like it would have an interesting plot, so I gave it a go too. My mistake was starting to read it at 10pm on Saturday night :) I was really tired, and I thought a little reading would help me go to sleep. Well, at 4am I was just finishing the book. By then I was REALLY REALLY tired, but it was so good I couldn't put it down!


I am not going to give you a summary of the book, because I honestly wish that I hadn't even read the cover and just gone for it. I felt like I knew too far in advance where the story was heading. It was still a page turner anyway. Suffice it to say, it is a story about fighting for religious freedoms wrapped around a core story of making mistakes and forgiveness. It was told in three parts and was a very creatively told story. A really, really good read that I highly recommend. I will definitely be reading more from this author....does anyone have any suggestions of her other books?

No comments:

Post a Comment